A new study has revealed the motorists are risking fines and licence penalty points every day because they are unknowingly breaking some simple laws.
The survey of 2,000 British drivers from findandfundmycar.com highlighted a number of illegal habits that UK drivers are guilty of, including:
- Flashing their lights to give way (95%)
- Beeping their horn in anger (79%)
- Driving with snow on the roof of the car (63%)
- Pulling over to check a map or a text with the engine running (55%)
- Sleeping in the car while drunk (14%)
- Letting a dog out for a pee on the hard shoulder (14%)
The research also showed that many people also think some activities are illegal, when they are in fact legal.
For instance, 52% thought it was illegal to drive barefoot, 46% think it’s illegal to drive in flip flops and 33% reckon it’s illegal to drive in high heels – yet all are legal. However, you must still be able to operate the controls safely.
“While the chances of getting fined for doing any of the above offences are extremely low, they’re still not worth the risk,” said Phil Morgan of findandfundmycar.com.
“While some of the above offences aren’t commonly known, nobody wants to have to pay a hefty fine for something that they didn’t know was going to cost them, so it’s best to know these sooner rather than later.”