Wednesday , May 12 2021
Home / Auto News / Nissan GB celebrates crossover milestone

Nissan GB celebrates crossover milestone

One Million Crossover Sales for Nissan GB

Nissan has become the first car manufacturer to sell ONE MILLION crossover vehicles in the UK – with more than 90% built on British soil.

Crossovers, which combine SUVs and family hatchback traits, have experienced mass growth over the past decade, with Nissan manufacturing the Qashqai, Juke and X-Trail models.

The car manufacturer, which operates the UK’s biggest car factory in Sunderland, reached the one million sales figure in just 14 years.

And a whopping 93% of these UK sales are of crossovers which were built in the north east, with the remaining 7% imported from Japan.

This is made up of both generations of Qashqai and Juke, plus the current generation X-Trail (2014- ).

NISSAN MODELTOTAL UK SALES% SHARE OF SALESMANUFACTURING LOCATION
Qashqai (2007 – 2014)246,99325%Sunderland, UK
Qashqai (2014 – 2020)373,01437%Sunderland, UK
Juke (2010 – 2019)292,72329%Sunderland, UK
Juke (2019 – Present)20,2082%Sunderland, UK
X-Trail (2014 – Present)67,0627%Kyushu, Japan
TOTAL1,000,000100% 

To celebrate the milestone, Nissan wrapped the models that contributed to the sales milestone in platinum – a nod to the music industry where a platinum record is awarded to artists who achieve one million sales of their album or single.

Andrew Humberstone, managing director, Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd. said: “We are thrilled to have reached this unprecedented sales milestone and wish to express sincere gratitude to our customers for putting their trust and loyalty in the quality of Nissan’s vehicles.

“Quite simply, if you are thinking of buying a crossover you will not find another brand that has even close to the number of happy customers as Nissan.

“We’re the market leaders in this segment because we put our customers first – in the design and engineering of our vehicles, but also in the purchasing and ownership experience.”

Since the Nissan Qashqai invented the crossover segment in 2007, and the Juke created the compact crossover segment in 2010, Nissan has been the market leader for UK crossover sales.

The Qashqai is a main fixture in the UK’s top 10 selling cars, with the Nissan Juke regularly entering the top 15 best-selling models.

And in a boost to British manufacturing, Nissan will next week unveil the new Qashqai, which will again be built at the Sunderland plant, and go on sale later in the year.

The Qashqai is the UK’s largest volume manufactured car with more than three million manufactured in Sunderland and sold worldwide.

Nissan’s Sunderland plant is also the largest automotive factory in UK history, with one in three British-made cars coming off its production lines, making Nissan the UK’s biggest car manufacturer.

Whilst Nissan has had to close showroom doors during the national lockdown, the brand’s Shop@Home service is supporting customers with their next purchase from the comfort of their homes.

Customers can browse and configure models, explore finance options, and even click-and-collect from their nearest COVID-secure Nissan showroom.

About Gareth Herincx

Gareth is a versatile journalist, copywriter and digital editor who's worked across the media in newspapers, magazines, TV, teletext, radio and online. After long stints at the BBC, GMTV and ITV, he now specialises in motoring.

Check Also

Verstappen with the winner's trophy and a Ferrari Trento celebration bottle

First podium of the season for “Ferrari”

Red Bull ace Jos Verstappen’s first win of the year at the chaotic, incident-strewn Emilia …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *