The all-new, all-electric Fiat 500 has been crowned Car of the Year by leading electric vehicle website, DrivingElectric.
The third incarnation of Fiat’s iconic model impressed DrivingElectric’s judges by offering an unrivalled blend of desirability, chic looks, a smooth ride and an enticingly low price tag to “move the game on in a big way”.
As well as winning the coveted Car of the Year trophy, the new Fiat 500 also scooped the Best Small Electric Car award.
In all, there were 20 trophies celebrating the best electric and electrified cars, and related technology, on the market today.
The Volkswagen Group was among the big winners, with the Volkswagen ID.3 named Best Electric Family Car, the SEAT Leon e-Hybrid awarded Best Small Plug-in Hybrid and the Skoda Superb iV Best Family Plug-in Hybrid, while the Porsche Taycan scooped Best Electrified Performance Car.
“The winner of our Car of the Year title has to be more than just a good electric car: it needs to move the game on in a big way and really stand out from the competition,” said DrivingElectric editor, Richard Ingram.
“The brand new, electric-only Fiat 500 does just that, with its tastefully updated styling, high-tech interior and usable range.
“The icing on this impressive cake is a satisfyingly affordable price: the new Fiat 500 starts from less than £20,000 – and as such, is a truly worthy winner of DrivingElectric’s overall Car of the Year.”
DrivingElectric award winners 2021:
- Car of the Year 2021: Fiat 500
- Best small electric car: Fiat 500
- Best family electric car: Volkswagen ID.3
- Best premium electric car: Tesla Model 3
- Best small plug-in hybrid: SEAT Leon e-Hybrid
- Best family plug-in hybrid: Skoda Superb iV
- Best premium plug-in hybrid: BMW X5 xDrive45e
- Best small hybrid: Honda Jazz
- Best family hybrid: Toyota Corolla Touring Sports
- Best premium hybrid: Lexus RX
- Best electrified performance car: Porsche Taycan
- Best electrified commercial vehicle: Vauxhall Vivaro-e
- Best used electric car: Nissan Leaf
- Best used plug-in hybrid: Kia Niro PHEV
- Best used hybrid: Toyota Prius
- Best universal charging provider: InstaVolt
- Best EV innovation: Octopus Energy: Electric Juice Network
- Best EV app: Zap-Map
- Future electric car (reader award): Ford Mustang MACH-E
- Favourite electric car (reader award): Mazda MX-30