The all-new Skoda Octavia has been crowned Car of the Year at the prestigious Auto Express New Car Awards.
The popular hatchback also scooped two category wins (Compact Family Car of the Year and Estate Car of the Year), while Ford, Renault and Mercedes-Benz also won big.
Auto Express’ team of expert judges praised the Octavia’s blend of exceptional all-round abilities and outstanding value for money.
“Since launching in the UK in the late nineties, the Skoda Octavia has become a byword for space, practicality and comfort,” said Steve Fowler, Editor-in-Chief of Auto Express.
“In this latest generation, it adds handsome looks, efficient engines, improved tech and even a couple of hot versions into the mix.
“It not only represents all the car you could ever need, but it’s all the car you could ever want, too.”
Ford was another big winner, with its Kuga, Transit Custom and Ranger pick-up truck each taking awards. Other success stories included Renault and Mercedes-Benz, which each scooped three awards.
Auto Express New Car Awards winners 2020
- City Car of the Year: Volkswagen up!
- Supermini of the Year: Renault Clio
- Compact Family Car of the Year: Skoda Octavia
- Family Car of the Year: Skoda Superb
- Estate Car of the Year: Skoda Octavia Estate
- Compact Executive Car of the Year: Tesla Model 3
- Executive Car of the Year: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Small SUV of the Year: Renault Captur
- Mid-size SUV of the Year: Ford Kuga
- Large SUV of the Year SEAT Tarraco
- Small Premium SUV of the Year: Mercedes-Benz GLA
- Mid-size Premium SUV of the Year: Land Rover Defender
- Large Premium SUV of the Year: BMW X5
- Luxury Car of the Year: Bentley Flying Spur
- Hot Hatch of the Year: Honda Civic Type R
- Convertible of the Year: MINI Convertible
- Coupé of the Year: Alpine A110
- Performance Car of the Year: Porsche 911
- Affordable Electric Car of the Year: Renault Zoe
- Premium Electric Car of the Year: Tesla Model 3
- Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year: Toyota Yaris
- Premium Hybrid Car of the Year: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Pick-up of the Year: Ford Ranger
- Van of the Year: Ford Transit Custom
- Driver Power: Lexus
- Hall of Fame: Steven Armstrong (Ford Motor Company)
- Car of the Year: Skoda Octavia