A stunning 1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Berlinetta has won the fourth annual The Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award.
The ceremony brought together eight of the world’s finest classic cars – all ‘best of show’ winners from the top 2018 international concours events – to compete for the title of the most exceptional motor car in the world.
Staged at The Peninsula Paris hotel, the winner of the Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award was chosen by a panel of 26 respected judges, all of whom are leaders in their fields of expertise.
The victorious Alfa Romeo is owned by David and Ginny Sydorick of Los Angeles, California. It was entered into the running for the award after being named ‘Best of Show’ at the 2018 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
An automotive jewel engineered by Ingegner Vittorio Jano, the 8C 2900 was designed to compete in sports car races – specifically the Mille Miglia, which it won outright in 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938 and 1947.
In racing trim, the 8C 2900 dominated all the major competitions, and in road trim, it was the fastest grand tourer.
The winning vehicle, 412020, is the first of only five known Berlinettas built on the ‘Lungo’ chassis and is the car that Italian coachbuilder Carrozzeria Touring refers to as the beginning of Superleggera.
The Superleggera system consisted of a structural framework of small-diameter steel tubes that conform to an car’s body shape and are covered by thin alloy body panels that strengthen the framework.
Photo credit @janacallmej
The seven other finalists…
• 1929 Duesenberg J/SJ Convertible by Murphy, Updated by Bohman: Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
• 1956 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé by Zagato: Cavallino Classic
• 1958 Ferrari 335 S Spyder by Scaglietti: Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este
• 1928 Mercedes-Benz 680 S ‘Boat Tail’ Roadster by Barker: Concours of Elegance Hampton Court Palace
• 1972 Monteverdi 375L High Speed by Fissore: Goodwood Cartier Style et Luxe Concours d’Elegance
• 1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Berlinetta by Touring: Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
• 1953 Lancia Aurelia PF200C Spider by Pinin Farina: The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering
• 1933 Bugatti Type 55 Roadster by Jean Bugatti: Salon Privé