Mitsubishi Motors unveils its Outlander Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
Its looks may not set the world on fire, but I can assure you that the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a game-changer in the motoring world.
Seven reasons why the PHEV might be for you…
1) It’s the only plug-in hybrid in the UK market that does not carry a price premium for its hybrid technology. In other words, it costs the same as its diesel brother, taking into account its £5,000 government Plug-in Car Grant (P-iCG)
2) With a low CO2 emission figure of just 44g/km, the Outlander PHEV benefits from £0 VED (Vehicle Excise Duty)
3) The Outlander PHEV makes sense for company car drivers, attracting a benefit in kind rate of 5% so a 40% tax payer will pay just £665 in this tax year, less than some of the smallest cars in the market
4) The PHEV has a 4×4 capability with an electric-only range of 32.5 miles and it can achieve 148mpg under the right circumstances!
5) There’s no compromise on space, compared to its normally aspirated siblings, despite running a 2.0-litre petrol engine and two electric motors
6) Already a favourite with caravan owners in petrol/diesel guise, the PHEV still has a 1,500kg towing capacity – ideal for medium-weight caravans
7) The PHEV has achieved a maximum 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating
Most of all, the Outlander PHEV is extremely clever, but you’ll have to wait until next month to read my full review.
It’s available to order now and the first PHEVs will be delivered to their owners in May/June. The range starts from £28,249.
Photo: Matt Lincoln